Epigraph

Crystal Ch.

Crystal Chalmers
Professor E.Harte:English150
Short Writing Assignment

Epigraph from Bell Hooks’ “Writing Biography”…..”Secrecy and Silence-these were central issues.”I chose this quote from Bell Hooks’ Wiring piece because it talks about how families knowingly or subconsciously way isolate people from certain subjects about their family’s everyday life. For instance one situation would be hiding a pregnancy of a unwed teenage daughter ort the homosexuality of a son. Silence compared to secrecy has a different cognations to it. Secrecy to me is taking silence ten more notches because secrecy means absolutely no one much knows about the situations and those knowledgeable of it must  not mention it, where as silence can just be discussed at home. Entire families can different from intermediate families such as mother, father, brother and sister when it comes to secrets. In Caribbean household or African American household certain topic or people mentioned are considered taboo.
My entire family would not discuss one relative because of their personal life choice but my intermediate family wouldn’t discuss that relative’s intermediate family because of their participation his actions. One day I trolled out my room because suddenly a thought of a relative appeared in my mind .I kept walking down the somewhat long hallway toward the kitchen where I can hear running water and oven knobs turning. I approached the kitchen then turned and asked and said to my mom “um do you know what ever happen to that cousin the used to come by when I was little” she turned and said “she died” .Her facial expression and actions following was blank. She answered me yes, but it was nothing else no explanation no why, no how. It was like me bringing her name up was enough talking already so I didn’t provoke her I didn’t ask her more. Her actions spoke loader than her two words.

Re: Epigraph

Landry
I have that same issue in my family too where someone does something that others don't agree with so then that person becomes taboo or spoken about as dead. but I think it's because some aren't that open-minded to things.
nonetheless, great piece!
-Landry