Putting Myself Together

Alicea
I enjoyed reading Jamaica Kincaid's article. It was about her life in New York and how she handled her poverty-stricken situation. Kincaid moved from apartment to apartment, she slept on newspapers, gave herself coffee enemas and in some cases, she couldn't afford to pay the rent. However, despite the difficult challenges she faced when she was 25, she was able to pull her life together, find a job and get married at 30. What sparked my interest was when she said "I used to tell perfect strangers how to behave in public when I caught them misbehaving and inform them that killing me was not a proper response," because compared to today's society, the average person would retaliate differently and/or might even say something disrespectful. I thought the author used a great deal of descriptive words and showed to the readers that all that glitters is not gold and that they are people who do struggle in New York.
*LICY*