Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Anayka Ramos
                                                             Racism still Exist

“Enabled me to look at my past from a different perspective and to use this knowledge as a means of self growth and change in a practical way”
                                                                                                             -Bell Hooks

In life every individual goes through the experience of having good and bad friends.  I remember the first day I met my best friend Maria.  It was my second year in junior high school and I was placed in a bilingual class.  As I entered the classroom I felt so nervous because all eyes were on me.  I introduce myself to my new teacher Mr. Calvo “Hola   Senor yo me llamo Anayka Ramos y yo no se porque me pusieron en esta clase de bilingue.  Yo se hablar, escribir y leer en ingles y en espanol.  (Hello Mr. Calvo, my name is Anayka Ramos and I don’t know why they place me in this bilingual class I can speak, read and write in English and in Spanish).  He looked at me in my face and said “Esta bien senorita yo estoy seguro que todo se va arreglar.” (It’s okay I’m pretty sure everything will be fix)As I walked past the teacher I sat in the second row.  As I turned my head and looked around the classroom I was the only dark skin girl Spanish girl.  I sat their quietly  and wrote my information on a blue index card my address, telephone number and my parents name etc.The whole day I felt so lonely because everyone of my classmates was talking and giggling with each other and no one wanted to talk to me so I just stayed to myself.  Then this girl came up to me and said to me in English

Maria: Hey what’s up? What’s your name?
Anayka: My name is Anayka and yours?
Maria: my name is Maria, so where are you from?
Anayka: I’m from Brooklyn but my family is from Panama and where are you from Maria?
Maria: I’m from El Salvador.
Anayka: Oh okay that’s nice I never heard of that country before.

From that day on Maria and I talked and became good friends till this day.  One day Maria invited me to go shopping with her at King’s Plaza mall.  As we walked to Flatbush avenue to take the B41, this tall white guy looked at me and Maria with such a disgust in his face like if he smelled a dog’s poop.  The first thing that I said to myself is “what’s his problem?”  I just ignored that look he gave me and Maria.  Then as the B41 came Maria and I climbed up the small steps on the bus and inserted our metro card in to the machine and sat down.  As Maria and I talked about different things this couple kept staring at us with such a shocked expression.  I said to Maria

Anayka: did you notice that couples over there starring at us like they never seen two friends talking before
Maria: Yeah man, I notice that, oh well I don’t care

As we reached in front King’s Plaza mall three guys came walking toward us but one of them came close to Maria and said “porque una muchacha bonita como tu es  amiga con una negra”(why a pretty girl like you is friends with that black girl?)Maria was so upset her cheeks all of a sudden turned red.  She them began to insult the guy so badly that the guy said “okay mamacita okay”. As I went home I couldn’t believe what had happen earlier that day in the mall. I now look at it in a different way meaning in life there will be people who are not going to accept me for being dark skin and that I should just continue loving myself and to be stronger.

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Carashay
Great friend for standing up for you! I liked your story!  Your tone was very pensive so I can feel the sadness through your flashback.

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Landry
you'd think racism is over by this day and age but sadly it's not.
it's shocking how expressively insulting they were to you.
Thanks for providing translations. Good use of your voice in the descriptions.
-Landry

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Alicea
Nice opening. There were minor grammatical errors but overall i got the message and thought this was a great piece. I like the fact that you used both English and Spanish in your essay and the way you described certain scenes made me feel like i was actually there with you.
*LICY*

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Gennesis Brito
This is a very strong piece. I was able to draw a vivid picture in my head as you gave a discriptive language about your life experience. this was truly something worth reading. Nice !

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Tervana Harford
Nice. Liked how you had the little dialogue going on and that's a good friend for standing up to these Losers. This piece was very interesting, loved it.

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Shakema Barnes
Your story is well formulated, I enjoyed it. It's sad some people are ignorant and have the slave mentality.

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

Miliai Stewart
Writing about a topic that today play a role in society,I enjoyed every part of your writing. Veery detailed, and well put together you made me feel like I was witnessing the situation. As people still continue to be small minded, not taking advantage of the various people in the world, and different oppourtunites they may offer is ridiculous, and immature.

Re: Small Writing #3...Anayka Ramos

richard
I really appreciate your story. it brings back many memories of my mom who was dark skin when she gave birth to me.when i was a little baby i was white, so when my mom goes inside the bus many people would stared at her. because they are surprised that a black women have a white baby with blue eyes.