Small Writing #3

Alicea
‘Identity is a construct determined not only by how you see yourself but also by how others see you.’ - Paul Beatty

        It was my second year being part of the girl’s lacrosse team and already rumors were racing the school’s hallways. People i didn’t know or spoke to before all of a sudden knew my name. I was completely clueless as to how my existence came into being. It wasn’t until i was given an assignment to elaborately write about ‘Who I Am’ that everything fell into place. One of the questions my teacher included to help us get a sense of what he was looking for was, ‘Are You Who They Say You Are?’

        After that particular class, I remembered thinking to myself ‘this is the easiest essay he has ever given.’ During my lunch period, my best friends had gone on a college trip and i was in the cafeteria with nothing to do and no one to really talk to. Eventually, i decided to do something constructive with my time so i took out a sheet of loose leaf and decided to start  the essay. After writing a long introduction about myself: where i was born, my purpose etc. i finally got to the point where i had to describe myself and answer are you who they say you are? From what i could remember, i went to a random table of girls, explained what i was doing and then popped the question. They all burst out in laughter and i wasn’t sure if I should be offended or if they were just laughing at the way I exaggerated when I described myself. One girl finally said, ‘THAT’S not what I heard !’ I then replied ‘what do you mean by that? After we exchanged a few words she asked, ‘you’re Alicea and you play lacrosse right? I nodded. She then said ‘well I heard you and your friends from the team got beef with the twins, you’re disrespectful and the only reason you’re on that team is because you have no friends and you thought being friends with them and acting like them would make you seem tough.” I stood there as if I had seen a ghost because I had not the slightest idea that people were judging me based on the company I had. I then explained to the group that the people on my team are my friends and I hang with them everyday but I'm not necessarily involved in their personal affairs. Lacrosse was a sport I played in gym and happened to enjoy which was the sole purpose of me joining the team, nothing else.

        There I was that day thinking of myself as one particular person and it turned out that other people had perceived the complete opposite based on my social interaction.
*LICY*

Re: Small Writing #3

Anayka Ramos
I thought this was a good story! it was very detailed and I did not find any errors, it was easy for me to image everything that you mention in your story...good job!!!

                                                                                                   *Anayka Ramos

Re: Small Writing #3

Carashay
Wow! I just commented on Aleen's small writing and this was the same thing I wrote- who you think you are verses who they say you are. That's funny how people even perceived how you are even through the most ridiculous situations. Good story! and dont worry I think you are a good person lol!
zyx

Re: Small Writing #3

zyx
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Small Writing #3

Gennesis Brito
This piece sounded like something i can personally relate to because everyone goes through these issues in High School. You have to watch the company you keep at times and I enjoyed reading this. No grammatical errors were found.

Re: Small Writing #3

Tervana Harford
Great story really enjoyed it. It was well detailed, I was able to paint a vivid picture of what's taking place. This piece is a learning experience and hope we do take it in consideration. Job well done!!

Re: Small Writing #3

Shakema Barnes
Great story! Sometimes people are jealous so they start rumors about the most ignorant things.  The story sounds like it would be a good scene in a play.

Re: Small Writing #3

Miliai Stewart
Always a common issue in High School mostly amongst girls, its always somebody out to twist words, or situations into their own. Always a very annoying situation to me, it's normal to some. Reading your story I enjoyed that you told every detail,and used correct grammer.Good Job!!