Small Writing Assignment #3

Landry
Each of us, whether we like it or not, rolls with a multiplicity of identity posses…” –Paul Beatty

       I had always thought being Chinese was boring. When I was young, I was always made fun of because of my nationality by my classmates. However, growing up, I learned that people are just stupid and ignorant and that I liked being Asian.

       But ironically, as I’ve grown older, I’m told I don’t look Asian at all, least Chinese. I’ve been told I look like a mix of nationalities or that I look either Hispanic, Philippines and even, get this: Trinidadian from some people. My response: I’d just smile, and politely walk away.

       I would always have people come up to me and ask “where are you from?”

       My response was always and always will be “I’m Chinese”. Then of course, I’d get the shocked looked in response.

       Sometimes, people are so persistent they would think that I was lying and they’d ask if I was mixed and proceeded to tell me that I look Hispanic.

       This was why sometimes I’d lie about my nationality; occasionally, if I’m in a teasing mood, I would tell people who ask that I’m Spanish just to see how gullible they are :)
And of course, I still get the shocked look but somehow the responses were not as surprised as the usual responses; that meant they believed it.

       So I decided to play along with it for five minutes or so until I decided it was time to shock them with the truth. When I told them, they become so surprised, they are shocked speechless. Then when they find their words, they’d ask if I was lying. I say “not anymore”.
-Landry

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Anayka Ramos
I enjoyed reading your story! I think you did a good job writing this piece, and i did not find any errors..keep up the good work.
                                                                               *Anayka Ramos

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Alicea
This was a very straight forward essay. I enjoyed reading it because i can somehow relate but overall i thought it was an easy read.
*LICY*
zyx

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

zyx
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Gennesis Brito
Your piece seemed like it had a sense of humor. The way you tried to trick others by telling them about your nationality was hilarious. I really enjoyed reading this piece and i found no grammatical errors.

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Carashay
Ha ha! People are dumb! Trinidadian...come on! I liked your story it was good because it goes hand in hand with the epigraph you choose.

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Shakema Barnes
I enjoyed reading your story it was very interesting, I couldn't stop laughing. The funniest part is when you mentioned people think you're trinidadian, and not asian.

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

Miliai Stewart
WOW! Reading your story I do admit as kids people did make fun of people judging without having accurate information. Always considered a "Dominican" as a child because of my hair people was so igornant claiming I couldnt be Black because I had long hair. Always proud of who I was, I always made people aware of my mixed background but never understood why im constantly sterotyped..

Re: Small Writing Assignment #3

richard
i really liked your story it was very understandable but the Trinidadian part was a bit funny.. but this was a great story.. keep it up

 rich