Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Tervana Harford
Quote: " Cause everything is never as it seems"

      September 6th, 2004, my first day back to my third year of secondary school after a great summer vacation of going to the beach, partying, hanging out, shopping at the mall and just having fun with friends and family.Everyone was excited to unite with their friends whom they havent seen all summer and to see who got new shoes and uniforms and also see the new kids that were entering. Later that day, the principal announced over the intercom that everyone should report to the auditorium immediately. In the midst of the meeting, we were notified that there would be no school the following day because the country was currently on a hurricane watch. After the announcement everyone was happy about the idea of not having to attend school, then suddenly shocked and worried because we didnt know what it was like to experience a hurricane. After being dismissed from school early to prepare for the uncertain arrival of a hurricane.
      The following day, September 7th, 2004, my island Grenada was devastated by hurricane Ivan . Prior, as the storm approached many were still doing last minute preparations. For instance, this man was nailing down his roof, as he was doing so, one end of the galvanize (roof top) lifted up, he nailed it down then the other outside lifted up he went back to nail it down. This was a continous process which my sister and I thought was funny.Though we thought it was funny my mommy thought differently.Moments later, I saw the sea(ocean) rising and I even heard the sound of the wind blowing. I then said to myself "it's really happening." Reality finally hit when the roof of my bedroom flew off, I then grabbed my little brother and ran to my mommy's bedroom. Sudennly, the kitchen roof also flew off , so my sister and little brother also ran to my mommy's bedroom which was the only roof that stayed intact.The house started shaking, the windows shattered; which caused glass to spread all over the room.My siblings and I started crying, so my mommy said "dont cry, pray and everything going to be alright." After being tossed around by the wind in the rubble, I became unconcious. At the end of it all, my sister and I were the only two that survived after the realization that my mommy and two brothers died. Till this day I miss them dearly and I wish I could turn back time. There's nothing like having your mom around!!!!

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Shakema Barnes
I would like to express my condolence for the loss of your mother and two brothers.  When the roof came off of your bedroom window were you scared, I could imagine, how frightening that must have been.  Have you been back to Grenada since the hurricane?

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Erin Harte
Administrator
Hi Tervana -

This was really beautiful and I, too, am sorry for your loss. Though writing can't always make things better or easier, it can often give us an outlet to express our feeling and a means for processing our emotions. Thanks for sharing.

Erin

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Whitney Witter
I can relate to this. Unfortunately I was only there visiting at the time unlike you who were there living. I sympathize with you and I think you are so brave to experience something like that and actually share your story.  I wrote about the same thing.

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Tervana Harford
Yea I was scared, never in my life again I would want to experience another hurricane or any kind of disasters. Since the hurricane I havent went back but I want to go back for a carnival or christmas.

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

Gennesis Brito
I am also sorry for your loss as well Tervana. I can imagine the pain that you endured while being present when the hurricane hit Grenada. The fact that you're alive is a complete miracle and my prayers go out to you and yours.

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

ashley18
IM SORRY FOR YOUR LOST . THIS PIECE WAS VERY SAD I HOPE WRITING THIS WAS ONE STEP OF GETTING BETTER

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

richard
like the many people who posted I'm sorry for your lost. i hope that writing this beautiful letter will bring you some peace.I don't know what i do if i l lost my mom and brother

Re: Small writing #1- Hurricane Ivan

liuhuan

Shoes accord abundantly to our bathrobe address on any occasion. These become added important bathrobe allotment because these are anon accompanying to our abundance level. All shoe food are racked up with fashionable shoes but just the few shoe brands accept been http://swagconverse.net/ converse online the prime best of appearance acute buyers because of durability, style, amusing recognization and all-embracing barter image. Converse is a big cast in cossack industry that is accepted for triggering the cossack appearance sensations aback its addition in 1908 by Marquis Mill Converse.