''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Gennesis Brito
    “Confront your fears, list them, get to know them, and only then will you will be able to put them aside and move ahead.” -Jerry Gillies
     Having fears of certain things when one was a child, I know for a fact that everyone can relate with me. Whether it be afraid of insects, or simply being afraid of the dark, are all fears that a normal child endures. But as for me, my fear in the 5th grade was stage fright. Just looking at the audience staring back at me, was hard to face. This one memory I’m sharing with you shows a perfect example of my childhood experience.
    It was June 22, 2002 at 9 am and it was already time for my graduation. I stood third in line with the girls in my 5th grade class, outside of Erasmus hall H.S. auditorium which was around the corner from my school P.S. 109 on Snyder Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. As I was twirling a strand of my hair trying to wait patiently in line , my friend, Katherine, approached me and she asked, “Gen I love your curls, who did it?’’ “My mom,’’ I replied with a slight giggle, as I tried to fix the collar from my white buttoned down shirt matching my black cotton ruffled skirt. Wearing the same attire as the other girls in my class irked me because I couldn’t bear walking around in this itchy skirt and hot blazing stockings that I was forced to wear. As we waited out the auditorium, the rowdy and obnoxious boys in my class were impatient and began to hit each other and scream loudly as my teacher looked at them from the corner of her eye in disgust.
    “Get in line boys and girls; it’s almost time to enter into the auditorium. And I’m going to tell you the last time to don’t forget what we have learned over the past couple of weeks,’’ my teacher Ms. Murrell said in her stern manly voice. Few moments later, my class and I marched in a straight line leading to the immense stage that was busy waiting for us. As we arrived on stage, my classmates and I got into our positions behind the huge red curtain that was in front of us.
    “1, 2, 3,’’ Ms. Murrell said shouting so we can hear her give us the cue to begin our moves. I took a deep breath and began to think in a positive manner. Making a huge decision to take over my fearful thoughts guided me to say to myself “You got this Gen! This is what you’ve been practicing for, for 3 months. DON’T BE SCARED NOW!”
    As Ms. Murrell gave us our cue, the curtains began to reveal themselves very slowly. I made a big gulp as my pupils began to dilate watching the numerous amounts of people glazing at us. Surprisingly, a particular face stood out to me in the first row. This face belonged to a lady, who grinned so hard I thought her cheeks were going to burst. I realized this weird cheerful lady was my mom who stood up along with my older brother, sister and my grandmother. As much as I wanted to get out of line and be with my family I couldn’t du so. I just kept it moving and followed my class that stood on the wooden hard stage as we began to perform our African Folk dancing.
After the performance, the feeling of relief took over my mind and body as I stepped off stage. I came to the conclusion that anyone can do whatever they put their mind to as long as they have faith and support to hold them up. As long as you keep a positive and motivated mindset, everything will run smooth.

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Anayka Ramos
I enjoy reading your story, it brought back memories of my graduation day as well, when i had to sing a song. I remeber that day I was so nervous and couldn't waite for this graduation ceremony to be over with...Anyways I thought this was a good story, very detailed and it was easy for me to image everything that was mention throught out your story. I did not find any errors..keep up the good work!

                                                                                                    *Anayka Ramos

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Carashay
Well put together! Your sentence follow right through. Your choice of words and structure allowed me as the reader to actually feel your nervousness through the passage.

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Alicea
I enjoyed reading your essay. It was very detailed and you described everything from your clothing to your family in the audience. I found this line very funny - "I made a big gulp as my pupils began to dilate watching the numerous amounts of people glazing at us" because i can actually imagine the look on your face and i liked your choice of words.
*LICY*

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Tervana Harford
Good story. I can definitely relate cause I tend to be shy around a big crowd especially when performing on stage. Nice choice of words and sentences were very descriptive, i was able to paint a clear picture. Keep up the good work

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Shakema Barnes
Your story was well written. Wow this story reminds me of when I was in elementary school, I was in a black history play when it was time for me to go on the stage I had butterflies in my stomach.
zyx

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

zyx
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ''The Coward In Me'' (small writing #3) by Gennesis Brito

Miliai Stewart
Very detailed using good grammer, I also enjoyed your story and could imagine how you may of felt. Having similar stories I also had to learn how to face my fears, and put things behind me that in which held me back from many things.