blood experiences

Daeshawn Grimes
Blood Experiences

        “Okay listen up guys. I know ya’ll just came from a hard football season. 0-9 is pretty rough but that does not matter. To be a good football player you have to do good on the field and also in the life we live. That’s why I want you guys to sign up for the blood donation. There should be no excuses for those that are 16 and older. If any of you guys have a problem, just talk to me after the meeting and I’ll gladly help you or try at least,” Coach Milano said with a loud and projecting voice.
        As I was filling out the registration form, my fingers began to tremble and jitter. The more information I gave on the form, the more trapped I felt into doing it. Given that I’m afraid of needles, coach Milano advised me to speak to my mother before I decided to donate blood.
        Later that night, I went home and spoke to my mom and in retrospect it was one of the most valuable conversations I ever had with her thus far. I can remember my mom saying “Sure why not. You have nothing to lose. You’re only gaining from it.” Then moment later her eyes became watery and she started sniffing as if she had the flu.
        To my surprise, my mom was crying. It had been hard to believe at the moment because I considered her a soldier since she’d been through it all. She did not shed a tear when my father just up and left us causing her to be a single mom. She did not shed a tear when she was laid off of work.
        This topic touched my mom and lead her to expose a deep secret that I have never been told or exposed to. She then revealed the story of my aunt Kelly that desperately needed a blood transfusion after her car accident. At the end of the story we both was full with red eyes and I was convinced, without a doubt, to overcome my fear of needles and do something beyond the meaning of giving blood
        On the day of the blood drive at Grand Street Campus I had been offered something special and rather unique; which was the opportunity to donate Plasma because of my athleticism and good health. It was not what I came to do, but the doctor explained to me that me donating Plasma, more people in the community are saved so I was for it.
        Even though I initially came to donate blood and I donated Plasma instead, I was pleased with myself because not only did u overcome my fear of needles I learned many things from this experience that can eventually lead into college.

Re: blood experiences

Gennesis Brito
This piece was very interesting to read. Your choice of words really led me to paint a vivid picture as you and your mom were having that heart to heart conversation. It's a good thing that you overcame your fear as well that's very important. Good job Daeshawn.

Re: blood experiences

Daeshawn Grimes
lol. :) thanks