"The Background"/A backward glance

Shakema Barnes
The story is an autobiography of Edith Wharton who was born January 24, 1862 and died on August 11, 1937.  She was the 3rd child of George Frederic Jones and Lucretia Stevens Rhinelander.  Wharton, was a prolific writer.  The story was interesting because, she spoke about her life as well as the friendships she had with many artist.  Henry James was a close friend.

Edith Wharton married a Harvard graduate, in 1885.  She was divorced in 1910. After her divorce she moved to France. While living in France she had many achievements in terms of her writing.  In 1921 she won a Pulitzer Prize.  Two years later she became the first woman to become a doctor of letters. She recieved her degree from Yale University.

As the story went on, it talked about how Wharton spent her life as a youth in NY.  I like her description of the brown-stones on 5th avenue.  Wharton described how various demonations walked down the street on sundays.  She saw the people walking down the streets of the city every sunday after church.  I assume they were walking home.  Wharton was fascinated by the rich society that surrounded her in NY.